Frequently Asked Questions

It might be your first time working overseas, which is different to holidaying – so you'll probably have lots of questions, such as what cover you require. To make it easier for you, we've compiled a list of the most common questions we hear – and their answers in relation to our policy. If you need further help, please call us on 01428 664265

   I have a serious medical condition – can I still get staff travel insurance?

Yes, maybe. We ask you to complete and return the 'About Your Health' form within your account and send fully completed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Your condition will then be screened to see if cover can be provided.

   I want to ski ‘off piste’ – how does this affect my ski insurance?

Most insurers either exclude ‘off piste’ skiing or insist that you are accompanied by a guide. At MPI Brokers we recognise the impracticality of this, because one can ski ‘off piste’ unwittingly and in certain circumstances it is possible to ski on a ‘pisted’ run that is designated ‘off piste’. So we do not exclude ‘off piste’ skiing – but, as with all insurance, we expect skiers to behave in a reasonable and sensible manner.

   I’ve got a European or Global Health Insurance Card (EHIC or GHIC) – do I still need travel insurance?

An EHIC or GHIC provides a limited amount of cover for emergency medical treatment in national hospitals overseas in Europe.

The EHIC is accepted in the whole of the EU until expiry, whereas the new GHIC is currently not accepted in Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein. Norway will accept a UK passport for the same level of cover, however it is best to check. The GHIC also provides cover whilst in Australia and New Zealand.

There is no cover for repatriation, or personal liability, and many smaller overseas medical clinics don't accept it. If skiing, there is also no cover for 'extras' such as piste rescue.

   I’ve bought the French Carte Neige – do I still need Ski Insurance?

Yes, the Carte Neige does provide cover for piste rescue, and emergency medical costs, but there is limited repatriation cover and a very low sum insured for medical. Plus no Personal Liability cover. So it should work hand in hand with Ski Insurance.

   What happens if I leave my employment before the end of the season?

Your cover under Part A ceases the day you leave your employment. If you purchased Part B &/or Part C cover, this remains with you until policy expiry date. If you decide you would like to stay in resort, just go to family and friends link within your account and purchase another policy online.

   We’ve got an Annual Multi-Trip (AMT) policy for the whole family. Why do I need more insurance for my trip?

AMT policies are normally for short trips, and usually only up to 31 days at a time. Family policies usually cover children under 18 (sometimes under 21 and in full-time education). The main reason is that an AMT is a holiday insurance for short trips, whereas those working overseas will usually go from anything from 1 to 12months without returning home.

   I am going skiing, am I covered to ski in snowparks and is it a condition I wear a helmet?

If you choose MPI Wintersports cover, then you are automatically covered to ski and/or snowboard in Snowparks. It is not a condition of our policy to wear a helmet, but of course, you may wish to for safety reasons.

   I am going skiing, does the policy cover mountain rescue?

As long as you purchase an MPI Wintersports policy, there is cover for piste rescue, including by helicopter if necessary.

   I plan to take part in ski racing and race training, does the MPI Wintersports policy provide cover for this?

There is cover for any ski racing where the entry age of the race is under 16 (national, International or local). There is also cover for racing of any entry age as long as it isn't an international race e.g. world championships, British championships, combined services etc. There is also cover for the Masters Circuit, the Inferno and interclub racing. If the racing is excluded, MPI can usually include this for an additional premium, please call MPI to arrange.

   What is the maximum amount of days I can ski for under this policy?

With this policy you can ski every day for the duration of the policy.

   I might be planning to do some high-risk activities, am I covered?

If you are planning to book some high-risk activities prior to your departure and/or they are the reason for going on the trip, then you must inform MPI by phone or e-mail. We can then establish if cover is available. If, whilst overseas, you take part in an activity that wasn't planned before your trip, then in the majority of cases there is cover – for specific exclusions please see the policy wording.

   I need to make a claim under my policy?

Please go to claims and notification of incidents in your account and follow the instructions. You must complete and submit the notification of incident form in the first instance. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail with links to the full claim form, which must also be submitted within 3 months of the incident.

Copyright © 2006- MPI Brokers. All rights reserved.

This website, its contents, ideas and any part of it is the intellectual property of MPI Brokers.